Why I'm Running
I am running for re-election to the Colorado House of Representatives, first of all, because I love Aurora and our great state. I’m uniquely qualified for this position because I – like many of our neighbors – have overcome many of the same life challenges.
I strongly believe that we all of us deserve a fair shot at success!
Here are a few of the things I have accomplished in my first term as your State Representative:
- I have run numerous bills to make sure that people have a safe and affordable place to live. Within the first few months in office I passed a bill that allows victims of sexual assault, stalking and domestic violence to break their residential leases without financial harm. I have run other legislation to help create a statewide affordable housing trust fund, to make sure people aren’t paying too much in application screening fees, a bill to give people a couple of extra weeks to pay money owed before being evicted, a bill to help people buy property and legislation to hold bad landlords accountable for health & safety violations.
- As a champion for health care I have supported many bills to make sure people have access to quality, affordable care, including a bill to help bring down the cost of prescription medications.
- Funding our roads is also important to our state’s overall economic health. That’s why I have voted for and run bills for pay for our roads and to offer low-income fares to more people. I am also trying to make sure we are ready for future innovations in transportation.
- I want to make sure people are safe and feel supported, that’s why I’ve passed legislation to help identify situations of human trafficking and to make it easier to prosecute revenge porn crimes.
- Prioritizing the people’s safety in energy production is also important. That’s why I ran legislation to require the mapping of flow lines.
- I’ve also worked hard to protect you as a consumer by running a bill to make sure your rights are protected if you have a disagreement with any entity you sign a contract with, including your employer.
- Supporting our kids’ education and making sure people have access to mental health care are also priorities.
Now, I want to go back to the Capitol and continue to fight. I hope to run bills that offer our students, and older adults, more opportunities to build fulfilling careers. I want to make sure that everyone can afford health care, that our environment is protected and that the Colorado Way of Life is honored.
I would like to hear what your concerns are. Please feel free to contact me.
Representative Dominique Jackson