What I've Done
I ran to become your state representative because I love Aurora and our great state. I’m uniquely qualified for this position because I – like many of our neighbors – have overcome many of the same life challenges.
I strongly believe that we all deserve a fair shot at success!
Here are a few of the things I have accomplished as your State Representative:
- As the chair of the House Energy and Environment Committee it is important to me to pass legislation that reduces pollution in order to slow climate change. During my second term, a bill of mine set in place groundbreaking climate goals. This bill has become a blueprint for other states to follow. I also sponsored a bill to help reduce waste across the front range and a bill that will invest in new infrastructure for electric vehicles. Another bill I am particularly proud of gives communities a voice in how they can be made whole after an air or water violation. I have run bills to support clean air and clean water and to bring battery storage infrastructure to Colorado.
- I have run numerous bills to make sure that people have a safe and affordable place to live. Within the first few months in office I passed a bill that allows victims of sexual assault, stalking and domestic violence to break their residential leases without financial harm. I have run other legislation to help create a statewide affordable housing trust fund, to make sure people aren’t paying too much in application screening fees, a bill to give people extra days to pay money owed before being evicted, to keep eviction filings suppressed when they don’t end an eviction, a bill to help people buy property and legislation to hold bad landlords accountable for health & safety violations. I want to ensure that no matter where your income comes from, you can still find housing, which is why I sponsored a bill to prohibit discrimination based on your sources of income.
- As a champion for health care I have supported many bills to make sure people have access to quality, affordable care, including a bill to help bring down the cost of prescription medications and a bill to understand how a drug price gets set.
- Funding our roads is also important to our state’s overall economic health. That’s why I have voted for and run bills for pay for our roads and to offer low-income fares to more people. I am also trying to make sure we are ready for future innovations in transportation.
- I want to make sure people are safe and feel supported, that’s why I’ve passed legislation to help identify situations of human trafficking and to make it easier to prosecute revenge porn crimes.
- Prioritizing the people’s safety in energy production is also important. That’s why I ran legislation to require the mapping of flow lines.
- I’ve also worked hard to protect you as a consumer by running a bill to make sure your rights are protected if you have a disagreement with any entity you sign a contract with, including your employer and another bill to protect student loan borrowers.
- Supporting our kids’ education and making sure people have access to mental health care are also priorities.
I continue to fight at the State Capitol because I want to make sure that everyone has access to healthcare, that people have a safe and affordable place to live, that our environment is protected, and that the Colorado Way of Life is honored.
I would like to hear what your concerns are. Please feel free to contact me.
Representative Dominique Jackson